BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lupe Diaz Pangas
Redfish

[*] posted on 6-5-2006 at 08:25 PM
Lupe Diaz Pangas

I was in San Jose del Cabo recently and had the pleasure of fishing out of several pangas. In particular, I fished out of some of the older model ARCA and Diaz pangas. After some research on the web and speaking with local guides, it sounds like Diaz pangas are well made and well thought of, with a long history of durability. Where else can you find boats designed to be driven up a sand beach at 20 mph?

I really like these boats because of their utility and durability. Low horsepower/gas requirements are also a big plus.

My predicament is this -- I live in Texas and would like to import a Diaz boat from Los Barriles. Has anyone done this? If so, any wisdom to share? Also, any experiences dealing with Lupe's boats or Lupe personally would be appreciated. I realize that there are easier ways to buy a boat, but the boats manufactured in the US, in my experience, are not made for the same level of use and abuse on a daily basis. Besides, I need more excuses to return to Baja for more fishing trips.

Thanks for your help,

Redfish
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:36 AM

Redfish

Have you looked up Panga Boats U.S.? Seen a few in FL Keys being used on the flats...Maybe not as tough but all the whistles and bells.

As for watching boats hit the beach on a run, go to the Outer beaches of Cape Cod. I used a 17 Aquasport for years powered by a 115 and hit the beach full tilt....glass against glass slides well!

Pangas are tough and that's about it. It's all give and take with boats. Good luck but I wouldn't be too hasty with a Panga. Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 03:58 AM

Redfish: I bought and owned a Mac Schoyer Panga on the Mar De Cortez for 27 years.. It is by far the best boat to be used on the Sea Of cortez or the pacific side of Baja.
It was designed to bring 2,000Lbs. of fish through the Pacific Surf with a 40 HP Johnson as Power. Later the Mesicano fisherman started using 48 HP mercs, then later using 70 HP Evenrudes.

There is no other boat that 2 people can pull on and off the Beach that is safe to operate.It was designed for the Mexican fisherman, not an American fisherman-there is a World of difference!!

Most Americano fisherman that I have encontered pass over more Fish than they Catch as they are in a Hurry to get back to the last Place their GPS directed them to Go!It seems difficult for them to learn to Read the Water and understand that fish move all the the Time!!that is understandable as many of the Americano fisherman only has a couple of Weeks to Catch fish where the Mexicano spends his Lifetime on the Water!

The Early Diaz Boats built in La Paz where much heavier than the Original Panga, they were difficult for two people to pull up on the Beach.

I have owned and operated the following boas on the Sea of cortez:
1976 Panga
Pompano 21 Ft. Lobster boat-yannmar diesel
217 Fish Wellcraft with Yannmar Diesel.
I just bought a 19 Ft. Arkansas Traveler -inboard with a Ford V8- which I may convert to a diesel.

In my estimation if I was again 30 years old I would find a decent Mac Shoyer Panga with a 70 HP Evenrude and do it all over again!!

Skeet/Loreto
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 09:21 AM

Skeet
Loved your comment about doing it over again. Interesting that someone in Texas wants to go Mexico and bring back an ARCA Panga and I have a 1984 20' ARCA (LaPaz)Super Panga here in Fresno that I want to get back to Baja with me in it.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 01:56 PM
Skeet's last post

The list of "Things to do if I were 30 again" is pretty long. Yours is a happy addition:yes:

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 02:31 PM

Skeet

Now if you can afford it, you go with a 90HP Honda.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 02:51 PM

Paladin; If it is one of the early Diaz boats you truly have a Good boat.
My daughter and family are picking me up in Bakersfield this sunday Morning headed for Loreto where they have rented a Place for 3 Months. They live in Fresno.

If you havve any problem with gettin that Boat to the Sea Of Cortez let me Know , I have a 7.3 Diesel that will pull it down for Expenses.
Skeet/Loreto
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2006 at 08:37 PM

Just what I need. a good old boy from Bakersfield we'll have to stay in touch, your offer is really tempting...you know anyone that needs a used wife???
Fresno is kind of the big city to me, originally from Porterville, old Man is retired Fish Cop there.
Have a great time in Loretto....dont forget what my hero Jimmy Huston always said

Set the hook!!!!! all with a great laugh
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 06:41 AM

Paladin: One branch of the Haggerton Clan ended up in the Bakersfield Area -Dust Bowl Days- I at one time would go from Fresno just to Dance to Buck owens and the Buckoroos. when he first got started he would come up to the "Old Fresno Barn' out west of Fresno. cost a Buck to get in and Dance!!
the ladies were a "Dime a Dozen"!!!!

thanks for the Offer of a Used Wife- I am on my 3rd and Last!
If I had found her First I would have saved a lot of time and Trouble, but you know the old Saying "If Roberta had had Balls . we would have called her "Uncle Robert".!!!

Let me know if you would like to buy that Diesel- 2002 250- 7.3 Super Cab with 61,000 miles. It would pull that Diaz boat to Loreto like a Dream.
I just went back to a 97 diesel Extended Cab 4 WD with a Stick Shift-Back to my ole Truckin Days hauling Hi D Cotton out of Fresno and Bakersfield to Oakland container Center.

Keep in touch.

Skeet
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:25 AM

if the Queen had ball, she'd be King......

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2006 at 08:50 AM

Skeet
Im probably a tad younger (59) but I do know (knew) Buck...actually used to trave B'Field a lot in the old days as Ins Company Rep...wrote Bucks Insurance for many years for his Ins Agent..Jerry something..played all the golf courses there wacked a bunch trees...Have aunt and Uncle buried there...he used to be chief of Police in Shafter after big war and then B'Field Californian for 20-30 years...My dream is Mulege...like Loretto but too many people ..too much developement....I want to get away from madness and growth....I want to get back to basic...fishing and beer and looking like a lizard
Have a great trip...Im jeolous as chit
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 05:47 PM

If you look a little further down on this topic, there is a wealth of information on the Lupe Diaz boats. Arca is out of business and no longer functioning. Lupe is making boats at his place in Los Barilles and you are right , they may well be the best ocean going boat available. You are probably looking at somewhere around the $32,000s range by the time you are done with motor and trailer. I have a friends who have brought one to California and another who brought one to Colorado. Check with your state to see what the requirements are for registration. The trailer is the toughest part, but you should buy a trailer first and haul it down to put the boat on. Be aware that Lupe is in mexico and if he promises the boat in Feb, it will be sometime in March when you can actually take delivery.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 09:12 AM

Im sure Lupe's new Panga is worth every nickle but $32.000 is a bunch more than my budget...I'm glad I have one of his "oldies but goodies" and will be most happy fixing it up.

For the regular normal Panga guides...what do they spend on their boats and how do the afford something above lets say $15,000???
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin
Im sure Lupe's new Panga is worth every nickle but $32.000 is a bunch more than my budget...I'm glad I have one of his "oldies but goodies" and will be most happy fixing it up.

For the regular normal Panga guides...what do they spend on their boats and how do the afford something above lets say $15,000???

In Loreto... many are using new super pangas from Hermasillo. There were a bunch trailered in last year and the price was about US $4500. My spanish is very poor but it was my understanding that there was a govt subsidy involved. Also sometimes the government scores some engines, 4 strokes for about 5 grand US eqv, (like less than half price) with financing. There were six purchased here in Loreto a few weeks ago.

I think we're going to Los Barriles next week and will look at the Lupe Diaz place.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-10-2006 at 04:32 PM

Our boat the Enzl Damiana is a 1985 Arca built in La Paz. An american diver bought it and had it shipped to Mulege where it was kept many years then he imported it into the USA and kept it in Fresno, CA where I found it in 1998. I then trailered it down here and changed the motor first to a two stroke 2001 Yamaha 85Hp then in 2004 to a Honda 4 stroke 90Hp. The boat was built heavy to carry the weight of dive tanks. In 2003 I modified it further when we extended the front platform and added a rear platform for flyfishing purposes. After all that fiberglass the boat's weighed increased and the 90 Honda pushes it perfectly. iI will do 34 knots on glassy calm water. Love the boat and will always keep it.

Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2006 at 08:45 AM

Pam
Nice to hear another good old Panga made it out of Fresno and got back "home"....While I was planning on settling in Mulege, Loreto is still on my list for fishing...shucks its only about 85 miles down the coast right??? I figure thats just a 2/3 day fishing trip...I was planning on looking you up anyway...now I can show you mine if you show me yours.
See ya soon I hope.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2006 at 08:06 PM

$32,000 is for a fully equipped boat, center console, trailer, etc. Do not confuse that with what the local guys are using to fish out of. Panga is a generic term to describe a long, narrow, fishing boat used in mexico. There is a night and day difference in the various boats. One of the popular configurations in Loreto area is a side console boat which allows you clear access walking down the center. I personally do not like this type configuration due to wind and blow in the area that I fish in. Seems I am always headed West and the wind blows from the North so in a side console you get soaked.
The boats that are configured for bench seats are the strongest made but they interfere with mobility and walking from front to rear, unless you are as well balanced and experienced as the mexicans who can run from front to rear with no hesitation while handlining a big yellowtail.
Figure out what it is you want to spend, where you are going to use the boat primarily, and how much you need to outfit it the way you want to. Ask lots of questions, get lots of opinions and then you will do pretty well for the first boat, then you will need to upgrade all too quickly to boat number 2. This becomes a practiced lifestyle.:biggrin:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:34 AM

Skeet - was just in mulege for 5 days and going back for the 4th. maybe i'll see you around and we can do some low level recon!

what is your contact info in MMLT?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 06:38 AM

hey...stop by we'll be there too...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 01:49 PM

ok Bob, good - i always need new drinkin buddies. man, was it hot there last weeekend. and the power cut out a few times, i'm taking my generator bACK down this time, need a back up for the AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and the blender.............:cool:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.