Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

cool.gif posted on 1-10-2005 at 07:30 PM
Pole Line Road - April 1st-3rd, '05

This will be your last chance to see the Pole Line Road with members of Rubicon
Owners of CA, Just Runs, the California Association of 4WD Clubs, and
Bajanomad.com

The itinerary looks like this:

4/1 - 9 a.m. - Meet & Greet in front of Pep Boys at 400 S. Imperial Blvd., Calexico, CA
9:30 a.m. - Driver's Meeting. Discuss the itinerary posted here. CB CH 4 will be
utilized, cross the border in lane 4, travel down Calle Militar to Hwy 2. Fill up at El
Progreso PEMEX before meeting Mickey & Penny Nielsen at Laguna Salada/Hwy 2 turnoff.

Travel approx. 1 hr. before breaking for lunch at 12:15 p.m. - take a 30 min.
lunch/potty break.

Setup camp in the vicinity of Jamau/Cerro Huatamote.

Big Dawgs will travel Summit Loop with TW leading. San Simon to El Jamau and
back down to Jamau basecamp. Breakdowns will be repaired with entire Big Dawg contigent returning with all
vehicles/occupants. LEAVE NO 4 WHEELER STRANDED will be our motto.

4/2

Break camp and have driver's meeting at 9 a.m. Depart Jamau region for beginning
of Pole Line Road and observe "Perfect Cobblestone Hill" as pictured in Discover
Baja newsletter article by the highly esteemed Neal Johns. Tackle Basketball
Hill and visit the Canyon Jaquegel for most of the afternoon.

Break for the bottom of Jaquegel Mtn. and set up camp for the night.

4/3

Driver's Meeting/Break Camp at 8 a.m. - drive through Jose Saldana on the way to
Ejido Saldana. Hopefully, make it there by 12 noon - say our "Goodbye's" to those who will return home to USA on
Sunday. Those who will continue on to San Felipe will travel first to Pete's Camp for showers before visiting the Malecon or
George's Restaurant (group decision) for early dinner. Travel south to Shell Island
for a group campout on the beach.

4/4 - Rise and shine. Do some exploring on the beach, return to San Felipe for a
quick meal, and point our vehicles north towards Calexico, CA. Since there will be
tow rigs parked in Calexico, we must return from where our trip originated.
Others in the group will be welcome to return via Tecate, CA.

-Ken

[Edited on 3-18-2005 by Ken Cooke]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 08:44 AM

So far the date sounds good to me and I would love to go along with you. Another Toyota can only make the trip safer for all. (just kidding).

Tom
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2005 at 08:47 AM

Ken, please post your road classification descriptions.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2005 at 04:52 PM

Roger Mullins of Just Runs 4WD Club has that weekend off from school/work. I am calling in sick for April 1st. Andrew and Brad who are trail officials for Moab Easter JEEP Safari will drive out a few days before the run to meet us in Calexico on 4/1 - The date works for 80% of us going on this trip - Hey, even Suzanne plans on going this time!:bounce: So, just call in sick on 4/1, and we will complete the actual run Sunday afternoon 4/3 and everyone can return to the U.S.A. that evening via Mexicali or Tecate (preferred).
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 07:53 PM

Class 3? Geez, I don't even turn hubs for that . Too bad I need to be home by the second. I'll wave your way as I drive by.
:tumble:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:03 AM

The Pole Line Road is a literal walk in the park. You can view photographs of some of the terrain at:

http://www.rubiconowners.com/PolelineRoad.html
http://www.justruns.com/gallery/album147

If you have a 4WD vehicle with at least 31" (LT245R16) tires, and two 5 gallon spare tanks, you should have what it takes to make it through the Pole Line Road.

A rear limited slip differential will help you up and over Basketball Hill, but by taking tire pressure down to about 20 p.s.i., that should suffice. There are some smaller rocks and sandy arroyos to condend with, but nothing serious. This is a scenic 4WD trail with some small obstacles to deal with. I can email you images from our trip to give exact trail conditions, or you can just go by what I'm saying that the trail is easy stuff with a few steep grades (due to flash floods) which must be negotiated. A full sized rig can make it through, but the series of ruts and ditches alongside the trail will make tire placement an issue at times. A CB radio on this trip is mandatory - so will plenty of fresh drinking water as the temperatures there may peak at around 90 deg.

-Ken

[Edited on 2-3-2005 by Ken Cooke]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2005 at 07:47 PM

The Pole Line Road Dec'04 trip appeared in In Gear Magazine. If you're a member of Cal4Wheel, you'll see Brad, Marian Johns, and Brock all driving up BB Hill. Neal Johns has 3 copies of the magazine, 'cause he's a BAD ASS!:!:
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 12:24 PM

Bad fanny? Bad fanny? Hundreds of WiWs will testify that there is nothing wrong with my fanny!:mad::mad::fire::lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 04:55 PM

I typed in the word that you refer to as "Donkey" and the filter turned out the word, "Fanny". I could have used the word, "Tough Guy" for similar effect instead. I'm sure you've got the kind of fanny to keep those wives in waiting!:lol:

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:00 PM

What a great post! Really has my wheels a-spinning!! Now I don`t have my old high clearance CJ-7 anymore (sold to prowl avocado grove trails in the hills of Escondido) so do you think some old yupie in a Grand Cherokee could make it?? I travel with a satellite radio, tow strap, macadamia nut pancake mix, and Pacificos!! Really don`t think I`m equipped for rock crawling, and have no idea what a class 3 vehicle is. Sure sounds like a great trip though!!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2005 at 08:44 AM
ROC Club Trail Rating Guide

1. Unpaved but generally smooth route passable by carefully driven automobiles. No traction, side angle, or steepness issues.

2. Has rougher stretches such as ruts or rocks that require higher clearance and driver attention. Two-wheel drive sufficient for experienced drivers.

3. Has steep up and down and/or side angled sections that may require larger tires and lifted suspensions. Some rougher sections require low-range gears and four-wheel drive. Traction is an issue (sand or loose rock) and a rear locker is recommended. Experienced drivers may want a spotter. Newer drivers should use a spotter. Experienced drivers in Stock Rubicons should be fine. Some body armour like a oil pan skid plate is highly recommended. This is a Stock Rubicon's Achilles Heel!

4. Significant hard rock obstacles require front and rear lockers. Stronger axles and u-joints recommended or expect possibility of breakage of same. Winch may be needed. Vehicles not carefully spotted may suffer sheet metal damage. Stock Rubicons may best avoid these level of runs due to clearance issues.

5. Contains obstacles that will be impassable to many vehicles. Winch required. Very good driving skills and a good spotter recommended. Sheet metal damage, broken axles, u-joints, or drive shafts may be expected for some vehicles.

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Cooke]

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Cooke]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 06:29 PM

Pole Line Road II is just 4 weeks away. Baja Lou is producing a 3D satellite map of the Pole Line Road. Once complete, you will be able to find the link here. Good going Lou!:light:

-Ken
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 08:58 AM

I just had 4 new BFG TA's put on my Toyota. All I need now is a new water jug and I will be ready to go.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 08:29 PM

New tires can be a good thing - especially in Baja! Be sure to pack that extra stash of drinking water, because its gonna be a hot one on this trail!:biggrin:
bajaxplorer

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 08:09 AM

I have never been through that particular area and would be interested in tagging along possibly. How many vehicles are there and is one more a possibility?
BX
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 08:44 AM

I don't know the full count but I think there will be about a 10-12 vehicles. I don't see why you can't join us BX.
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 11:36 AM
Star Power

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaxplorer
I have never been through that particular area and would be interested in tagging along possibly. How many vehicles are there and is one more a possibility?
BX

If this is the same Bajaxplorer who has a cameo role beside Coco in the soon to be released feature film, "Dust to Glory", you may want to have him along just so you can brag about hanging with him to the grandkids! :bounce::o

Out of curiosity, Ken, do you think a stock Baja bug could make this run?
bajaxplorer

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 12:43 PM

You're a hoot Mike.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 03:58 PM

El Camino,:lol:
a stock bug with big rear tires could make it, even if they had to put it in the bed of a pickup.;)

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 05:25 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, Ken, do you think a stock Baja bug could make this run?

Coming out of Canyon Jaquegel, you will encounter a rocky decent that will test your vehicles' wheel travel and underbody clearance. It is the one pictured with Neal Johns negotiating on the cover of Discover Baja.

Just out of Jamau, there is an incredibly deep ditch which swallowed a lifted Jeep with a rear Detroit Locker. In this situation, you could be yanked out, but only with a good tow-point on the front of your Baja Bug. This picture shows me spotting for Skip who safely negotiated the ditch after we pulled Michael out of it.
Could you make it? Traveling in the company of other capable vehicles, Yes you would make it. However, it would be prudent to bring extra parts, an extra tire or two, towstraps and possibly a HiLift Jack to support your vehicle while stacking rocks like on Jaquegel.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.